There is a little voice inside our head that awakens time and again, says ‘I should probably start a garden’. We all have a hobby that helps us unwind from the stress at work or a really bad day. Gardening is one of the best hobbies that you can become a master in. It is easy and it is scientifically proven to reduce day to day stress. It can be a great step towards having good mental health and has the potential to raise your self-esteem. Gardening not only helps oneself but also is a great way to give back to the environment. If you are someone who has almost no leads on how to start a garden and is probably thinking where and how to grow a pineapple top, the answer is yes, you can grow pineapples from the top in your garden.
Pineapple, a super food
Pineapples are not only a delicious tropical fruit that you can grow at the ease of your home but one can also benefit from it.
- It has the ability to fight disease and is a great antioxidant.
- Pineapples also help in the digestion of food and are highly recommended by doctors for the treatment of pancreatic disorders.
- From boosting immunity to reducing cancer, it is one of the fruits that your organic garden needs.
Steps for Growing Pineapple:
If you are desperate and wondering how to grow a pineapple top in your garden, getting your hands on pineapple tops can be a little difficult unless you know a farmer.
Although pineapple tops are harder to find, pineapples are easily available in any local store or supermarket. Once you find the pineapples you can simply cut off the pineapples from the top. It is always advisable to keep a distance of about half an inch before cutting off the pineapple from its leaves. Following this procedure, you can surely small roots from where your pineapple will start to grow.
- At the perimeter of the stem, you can find bumps in the color brown which are the roots of your pineapple plant.
- It is beneficial for the pineapple top to be allowed to dry so that it can recover and the roots grow in size, it is one of the key hacks of growing pineapple tops if you are wondering how to grow a pineapple top in your garden.
- After one week of drying the pineapple top, you can plant it in the garden soil.
- It is heavily advised that apples can be used as manure to help the flowers bloom as it contains ethylene gas.
- Ethylene gas induces the plant to produce flowers. In most cases, flowering in a pineapple plant does not take place until three to five years.
Some useful tips to keep in mind:
- Pineapple plants need frequent watering and at least five to six hours of direct sunlight.
- They are not house plants. They are suitable for gardening but cannot be fit into a tub.
- Without sunlight and proper manure, it is hard for these plants to survive as these grow about five feet in height.
- Since they are delicate plants and need a lot of care, one should also be careful about bugs.
- Using pesticide is almost a necessity of these plants as they attract insects. Many people mistakenly over-water their plants which is not suitable for pineapples.
Keep these tips and process in mind and you can grow pineapple in your own garden and have the liberty of enjoying the delicious fruit fresh out of your garden.